We are pleased to announce that Dr. Teresa H. Meng (孟 懷 榮 ), the Reid Weaver Dennis Professor at Stanford University, has accepted our invitation to be a NATEA Honorary Adviser. Professor Meng is a newly elected Academician (院 士) of Taiwan Academia Sinica (台 灣 中 央 研 究 院) with the Division of Mathematics and Physical Sciences. She is one of the 258 Academicians of that organization worldwide in 2010. The title of academician in Academia Sinica is an honor with no remuneration.
Professor Meng is the Founder and a Director of Atheros Communications, Inc. (創 銳 通 訊 科 技 ), Santa Clara, CA since 1998.
The following is the invitation addressed to Professor Meng:
I should call you Academician Meng instead of calling you Teresa as I am used to it.
On behalf of the North America Taiwanese Engineers' Association (NATEA), I congratulate you on your honor as a a newly elected Academician (院 士) of Taiwan Academia Sinica (台 灣 中 央 研 究 院) with the Division of Mathematics and Physical Sciences.
With former President of Academia Sinica Yuan- Tseh Lee's support and encouragement, the NATEA was officially founded in March 1991 in Silicon Valley, California by a group of engineers and scientists from Taiwan. Professor Lee was the keynote speaker at the NATEA forming ceremony.
NATEA has been growing steadily since its inception 19 years ago. Presently, it has 12 regional chapters with more than 2000 members across major cities and regions in North America including Canada.
We sincerely invite you to become a NATEA Honorary Adviser like others - former President Yuan-Tseh Lee, President Peter (Chung-Yu) Wu of NCTU, President Jei-Fu Shaw of NCHU, President Hung-Duen Yang of NSYSU, former President Johnsee Lee of ITRI, and former President Jyh-Sheng Ke of I I I. We hope to receive your advice for enhancing NATEA future science and technology directions and following globalization in collaboration with mainstream professional organizations such as IEEE, SVEC and IBIO. Note that all Honorary advisers have no financial obligations.
Looking forward to receiving your acceptance soon.
余 金 榜
John Pang Yu
NATEA Founding President and Headquarters President Emeritus
Response From Professor Meng:
Response From Professor Meng:
Thank you very much for your kind words. It would be my honor to be an Honorary Adviser of NATEA. ? 臨 指 導 不 敢 當, I would like to see more of our Taiwanese engineers and scientists succeed in the US. Looking forward to working with you and other distinguished colleagues at NATEA.
NATEA-HQ Organization 2012-2013
|Officers (2012 - 2013):|
|Associated Chapter-- HQ Title||Han Name||English Name|
|NATEA- Dallas, HQ President||張謙益||CY Chang|
|NATEA- SV, HQ VP||蘇鈺琪||Eaden Saw|
|NATEA- Dallas, HQ Secretary General||吳明基||Ming-chi Wu|
|NATEA- SV, HQ Treasurer||陳雅恬||Angela Chen|
|NATEA- Dallas, Org. Development||謝慶鏘||John Hsieh|
|President Emeritus and Executive Advisers|
|NATEA-SV, HQ President Emeritus||余金榜||John Yu|
|NATEA-SV, HQ Executive Advisor||陳曉昇||Sheau Chen|
|NATEA-SV, HQ Executive Advisor||張鴻德||Tom Chang|
|NATEA-SV, HQ Executive Advisor||林鼎雄||Tim Lin|
|NATEA-SV, HQ Executive Advisor||塗百堅||James Tu|
|12 Regional Chapter Presidents; Designated Board Members|
|矽谷分會(NATEA-SV) President||陳林福||Linfu Cheng|
|南加州分會(NATEA-SC) President||吳爾融||Eru Rong Wu|
|聖路易分會(NATEA-St. Louis) President||葉聰叡||Raymond Yeh|
|紐約分會(NATEA-Great New York) President||周信結||Joe Chou|
|紐約上州分會(NATEA-UNY) President||楊文良||Patrick Yang|
|伊利諾分會(NATEA-Illinois) President||王文隆||Wayne Wang|
|奧斯汀分會(NATEA-Austin) President||張清良||Chin-Liang Chang|
|達拉斯分會(NATEA-Dallas) President||蔡靜輝||Jeff Tsay|
|西雅圖分會(NATEA-Seattle) President||黃明世||Davis Huang|
|北卡州分會(NATEA-North Carolina) President||吳森洲||Edwin Wu|
|渥太華分會(NATEA-Ottawa) President||邱昱翔||Charles Chiu|
|多倫多分會(NATEA-Toronto) President||鄭勝雄||Jim Cheng|
|Elected Board Members (2012--2013)|
|NATEA- Dallas||吳明基||Ming-chi Wu|
|NATEA- Dallas||謝慶鏘||John Hsieh|
|NATEA- Toronto||宋維浩||Wayne Soong|
|NATEA- Toronto||姚智偉||John Yeow|
|Regional Business Center Directors|
|NATEA-Denver Business Center||林鼎雄||Tim Lin|
- Yuan-Tseh Lee, Ph.D. , (李遠哲, Chemistry Nobel Laureate)
- Teresa H. Meng, Ph.D., (孟 懷 榮, Professor at Stanford University, Academician of Taiwan Academia Sinica, Stanford, USA)
- Peter (Chung-Yu) Wu, Ph.D., (吳重雨, President of NCTU, Hsinchu, Taiwan)
- Jei-Fu Shaw, Ph.D., (蕭介夫. President of NCHU, Taichung, Taiwan)
- Hung-Duen Yang, Ph.D., (楊弘敦, President of NSYSU, Kaohsiung, Taiwan)
- Johnsee Lee, Ph.D., (李鐘熙, Former President of ITRI, Hsinchu, Taiwan)
- Jyh-Sheng Ke, Ph.D., (柯志昇, Former President of I I I, Taipei, Taiwan)
- Jimmy Li, Ph.D.
- Larry W. Lin, Ph.D.
- Eaden Saw, Ph.D.
- David C. Weng
- John Pang Yu, Ph.D.
- Tom Chang
- Tim Lin
- Sheau-Sheng Chen, Ph.D.
- 1991: John Pang Yu, Ph.D. 余金榜
- 1992: John Pang Yu, Ph.D. 余金榜
- 1993: Alvin T. Shih, Ph.D. 施天墩
- 1994: Jerry J. Hsiau 蕭吉源
- 1995: Ching C. Lai, Ph.D. 賴景宗
- 1996: Eugene Yeh, Ph.D. 葉俊雄
- 1997: Yea-Hwang Uang, Ph.D. 汪雅煌
- 1998: Jhitang Steve Chen, Ph.D. 陳濟棠
- 1999: Jimmy C. Li, Ph.D. 李正明
- 2000: James Tu 塗百堅
- 2001: Julie Chen 游純如
- 2002~2003: Jimmy C. Li, Ph.D. 李正明
- 2004~2005: Sheau Chen, Ph.D. 陳曉昇
- 2006~2007: Tom Chang 張鴻德
- 2008~2009: Tim Lin, 林鼎雄
- 2010~2011: James Tu, 塗百堅
C. Y. Chang, Ph.D.( 張謙益) - President
Eaden Saw, PhD( 蘇鈺琪) - Vice President
||C.Y. Chang (張謙益) received his B.S. from National Taiwan University and M.S. & Ph.D from Rice University (Houston, Texas), all in electrical engineering where he majored in information theory and image & signal processing. He had been a part-time faculty at the University of Houston at Clear Lake and the University of Texas at Dallas, respectively. C.Y. was instrumental in founding the Dallas Chapter of North America Taiwanese Engineering & Science Association (NATEA-Dallas) in December, 2004 where he served as the Chapter's first president in 2005. He also served as NATEA-Headquarters Vice President in 2008, & 2009-2010.
For the past 35 years until retirement, C.Y. had been working mostly in the US defense industry with the exception of a brief period in the oil company. During those years, he was primarily involved in the algorithms development and program management in the areas of statistical pattern recognition, automatic target detection, non-imaging armor classification, computer vision, electronic image stabilization, and image & signal processing for military applications, and in the areas of multi-spectral pattern recognition and digital signal processing and adaptive filtering applicable to both NASA's remote sensing and oil industry's exploration seismic data processing programs. He has presented/published numerous research papers in conferences as well as technical journals in the aforementioned areas. C.Y.'s professional careers were culminated as one of the recipients of Raytheon Corporation's Excellence in Technology Award in 2002. He is currently a Life Senior Member of IEEE. Besides NATEA, he is also actively involved in the Taiwanese American Communities in the Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) areas and is a member of TAA-DFW and FAPA.
John Pang Yu, Ph.D. (余金榜) - President Emeritus
BIRTH PLACE: Hsinchu, Taiwan
||Dr. Eaden Saw has 30 years of engineering experience in MEMS and microelectronics fabrication, packaging, assembly and testing. Her experiences cover various stages of microelectronic product life cycles from product concept and design, prototype fabrication and testing, setting up quality system and reliability testing, commercialization and mass production, to failure analyses for in-line production, reliability and field returns. Her experiences include transferring the design and process into oversea production facility. In addition, she has led an electro optic facility and has extensive knowledge with various electron optics analytical instruments.
Dr. Saw has also provided technical and business consultations to start-up companies in the field of optical switch, wireless tire pressure sensor, wireless sensor networks, Li-polymer battery, and storage drive tester.
Dr. Saw served as the VP of NATEA SV chapter in 2002 and the president of NATEA SV chapter in 2003. She help facilitated various technical conferences jointly offered by IEEE/NATEA or NSC/NATEA between 2002 and 2005. She also coordinated the publication of NATEA Journal between 2002 and 2004.
Dr. Saw has authored and co-authored several technical papers in packaging process and in ceramic composite materials.
Dr. Saw was born in Taiwan in 1954, came to the U.S. in 1978, received her PhD in 1998, She’s a naturalized U.S. citizen. She is currently single and has two children.
EDUCATION: Hsinchu High School; National Taipei University of Technology; Kansas State University, USA (BSEE & MSEE); The University of Connecticut, USA (Ph.D. in EE)
- 2004 to Present: Limited Partner for the Emerging Technologies Cooperative, Inc., Managing hi-tech business transaction, focusing on VoIP, Set-Top Box, triple play technologies, digital content and video conferencing, data communication, Internet Protocol multimedia subsystem (IMS), wire-line and wireless broadband access communications.
- 1985 to 2004: Vice President of Engineering & Chief Engineer managing new engineering departments at major corporations and start-ups in Silicon Valley such as, Electro Sound Corp., NEC Technology Research Center, Intel Corp. and most recently Lucent Technologies; designing and developing Core and Edge Network product lines, video / computer graphics products, first generation of TFT color notebook computers, computer graphics display monitors, computer telephony integration (CTI) voice, fax, data telecom product lines.
- 1975 to 1985: Senior MTS & Project Manager: Focusing on design and development of consumer electronics such as TV transmitters, home communications picture phones, videotext interactive terminals, laser video disc recording standards & magnetic systems at AT&T Bell Laboratories.
- Granted 10 (ten) US and corresponding foreign patents related to broadband wire-line and wireless home communications.
- Published numerous technical papers on Voice over IP (VoIP), video teleconferencing, digital signal processing, multimedia communications and triple play technologies.
COMMUNITY SERVICE ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Initiated and founded the North America Taiwanese Engineers' Association (NATEA) in 1991 to grow its membership from less than 100 to more than 2000 with 12 Regional Chapters across North America in 2009.
- Planned annual US Taiwan High-Tech Summit Forums in Taiwan since 2002, co-sponsored by NATEA, TAITA-SV, National Science Council (NSC), the Ministry of Economic Affairs, ITRI, III, NCTU, NCHU, and Taiwan Industrial Technology Association.
- Presented technology-related keynote speeches in Taiwan at US Taiwan Technology and Industry Summit Forum, Institute for Information Industry (I I I), Industry Technology Research Institute (ITRI), Southern Taiwan University of Technology, National Taipei University of Technology, National Chung Hsing University, National Taichung University, Southern Taiwan University of Technology, and many others.
- Participated in several key Taiwanese American community services and engineering professional organizations such as: Commissioner of Overseas Compatriot Affairs Commission of Taiwan and Senior Adviser of National Applied Research Laboratory (NARL) in Taiwan.
- Promoted the Faculty and Student Exchange Programs between UC Berkeley and National Chiao Tung University in Taiwan.
- Founding President of Worldwide Taiwanese Science and Technology Association (WTSTA).
- Commissioner and Vice-Chair of Santa Clara County / Hsinchu Sister-County Commission.
- NATEA Adviser; Board member of IEEE-Engineering Management Society; Member of IEEE-Computer Society.